Wednesday, January 16, 2013

If I Had Been a Man of Violence



I shared this video with Lucy who jogged my memory about the pursuit by Naomi. Sometime in the 60s when I was in practice in Medical Towers, I was called to the phone for a long distance call. It was Naomi. I don't remember anything about the conversation except that I cut it short. At dinner that night I told Gma and the boys about the call. She was amused and curious. "Why didn't you invite her for dinner?" The boys chimed in, especially when they found out I had described her to Gma as very pretty. It seems I missed a great opportunity for an unforgettable meal by not inviting her.

Steve, my son, emailed me this later: "I've been thinking about your v-log entry as requested. Your anger at Naomi is still palpable after all these years. There's no question that it would have been a difficult, if not impossible marriage. She was flighty and rebellious (against her family and, eventually, against you) and this would have made your life miserable. You would have to do all the work to keep things together and, in the end, it would have been for nought (she would have left you). Mom was difficult but steadfast and you needed that. Thus, your attraction to "persevering and persistence." I think, in spite of your anger, you did the right thing. Although I probably would have had sex with her before I said "adios"."

No comments:

Post a Comment