Monday, October 5, 2009

Face to Face with Nature

Last week Yvette and I watched Part Three of the PBS documentary, "The National Parks." Most of the 2-hour segment was devoted to the Grand Canyon; it reminded me of our visit to the Canyon in 1982. What I saw at that brief visit affected me more than any other photographic subject I had ever encountered.
We parked our car and I grabbed my Nikon. Because the weather was threatening, we walked through the souvenir shop to get to the South Rim. The wind had picked up and I could feel the mist of the approaching rain on my face. Protecting my camera lens with my cupped hand, I moved as close to the edge of the Rim as I could. An enormous gray cloud filled the entire Canyon; only a few of the higher peaks were visible and above them wisps of gray whipped about. Lightning flashed but I was too far away to hear the accompanying thunder.
I began snapping frame after frame; when I felt rain on my forehead, I shielded my camera and slowly backed away to the shelter next to Yvette. She wiped my face of raindrops-----and tears; I had been crying.
I did not understand what had happened to me until I had prints made from the best negatives on the roll. It was then that I realized that bad weather was a much better time to get good shots than in bright shining times. A deeper response, until then hidden from me, was that my emotions from the power of nature, its beauty or its destructive capabilities, resonated to an unsuspected depth within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment